This is my favorite oven-fried chicken recipe. It is perfect for those nights when you are wondering what you will do with that package of chicken you have thawing in your fridge. I make sure I always have Peppridge Farm Herb Stuffing in my pantry so that I can make this meal when I don’t know what else to make.
I got this recipe from my mother-in-law, Sally Hughey, about 25 years ago and have made it ever since. It makes your entire house smell delicious! When the Hughey kids were younger, I used a whole cut up chicken because it is cheaper. These days, I usually use boneless, skinless breasts.
1 pkg of Peppridge Farm Herb Stuffing
1-1.5 lbs of chicken (can use boneless, skinless breasts, bone-in breasts, or a whole chicken cut up)
1 cup buttermilk
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 stick of butter (do not use margarine)
1. Preheat oven to 400
2. Put stuffing mix in a large ziploc bag and crush with a rolling pin or meat mallet
3. Rinse chicken and lightly season with salt and pepper
4. Dip chicken pieces into buttermilk and then coat with stuffing mix
5. Place onto a cookie sheet that has been lightly greased. Pour melted butter over the top of the chicken
6. For chicken breasts: Cook 20 minutes, turn over and cook 10 more minutes. For Bone in breasts or whole cut up chicken, cook 30 minutes, turn and cook 15 minutes more.