There are no words to describe this soup! It is so creamy and rich. One bowl will fill you up for hours. I think most children will like this soup, but if they don’t like the sight of the broccoli, just blend it up in your blender before you serve it and call it “Cheese Soup” They’ll never know about the 4 cups of broccoli you put in there!
4 cups chicken broth
1 small onion diced
1/2 cup flour
1 stick of butter
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 cup heavy cream or half-n-half
8 oz of shredded sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese (do not use pre-shredded)
4 oz shredded swiss cheese
2 heads of broccoli (about 3-4 cups when cooked and chopped)
1. In a small covered sauce pan, simmer the chicken broth and chopped onion for 15-20 minutes
2. While broth is simmering, prepare broccoli by removing the heads and chopping into whatever bite size pieces you like. I chop mine pretty small. Place in a microwaveable container, cover and cook in microwave for 4-5 minutes until they are the desired tenderness. There should be a small amount of “crunch” to them.
3. While broth is simmering, melt butter in large stockpot. Combine flour, salt and pepper and add to butter to make a rue. Whisk constantly and cook for about 2 minutes.
4. Whisk cream into rue mixture.
5. Add warmed chicken broth mixture and continue to stir until well blended. Add cheeses and stir.
6. Add in steamed broccoli. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Add more milk if soup is too thick
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup (thecooksnextdoor.com)
- Chicken soup for the sick blogger (akagringita.wordpress.com)
- Italian Sub Soup! (my-imperfect-kitchen.com)
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup (anushabarrela.wordpress.com)
- Winter Ham and Potato Soup (dishdashdime.wordpress.com)
- Old Fashion Chicken and Dumpling (themagnoliacafe.wordpress.com)