I got this recipe off the back of a saltine cracker box many years ago. I’ve used this recipe so many times that the recipe card is so old and stained that I can hardly read it. I always keep black beans and chicken broth in my pantry so I can make this on nights when I don’t know what else to make.
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbs ground cumin
2 tbs oilo
3 16 oz canned black beans, undrained
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 cups thick and chunky salsa (any brand should work fine)
2 tbs fresh lime juice
3 Tbs of fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup sour cream
1. In a 4 quart saucepot, over medium heat, cook onion, garlic, and cumin in oil until onion is tender (about 3 min). Remove from heat
2. In electric blender, puree 2 cans beans and their liquid in batches with chicken broth; add to pot. Stir in remaining beans, salsa, and lime juice.
3. Heat mixture to boil, reduce heat to low and then simmer for 30 minutes.
4. During the last five minutes of cooking, add cilantro and stir well
5. Ladle into bowls and serve with sour cream
248 calories per cup, 5 grams of fiber, 7 grams of fat
- Chicken-Tortilla Soup (hungryhugheys.wordpress.com)
- Green Chicken Chili (hungryhugheys.wordpress.com)
- Chicken Enchilada Soup (hungryhugheys.wordpress.com)