This is a recipe that Geoff and I have prepared often on a Sunday afternoon. We prepare it in 2 square foil pans instead of a 13 x 9 and then put one in the freezer. It is such a great feeling when you are having a busy week to know that all you have to do is take this frozen meal out of your freezer and cook as soon as you get home.
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 Tbs olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound lean ground beef
1 26 oz jar tomato and basil pasta sauce
3/4 tsp salt, divided
16 oz box of ziti pasta
3 tbs butter
3 tbs all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp pepper
8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Sautee chopped onion in hot oil in a large skillet, over medium-high heat 5 minute sor until tender. Add garlic, and sautee 1 minute.
2. Add beef, and cook, stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain beef mixture, and return to pan. Stir in pasta sauce and 1/2 tsp salt.
3. Cook pasta acccording to directions.
4. Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
5. Whisk in milk; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in parmesan cheese, remaining 1/4 tsp salt, and pepper.
6. Pour sauce over pasta in dutch oven, stirring until pasta is evenly coated.
7. Transfer pasta mixture to a lightly greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Top evenly with beef mixture; sprinkle evenly with mozzarella cheese.
8. Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.