The best thing about this recipe (apart from the wonderful taste) is that after you brown the meat and get it all mixed up, you can just place it in the oven and forget about it for 1-2 hours. This is a great weekend meal served with warm tortillas and maybe some beans and rice.
2 – 2.5 lbs of beef chuck roast or bottom round cut into 1 inch pieces (or use stew meat)
kosher salt and coarse ground pepper
2 tbs oil
1 cup diced onion
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 large jalapeno, seeded and diced
6 Tbs flour
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 large, good quality tomato, diced (I use about 5-6 of the small campari tomatoes)
1 1/2 cups hot water
1. Heat oven to 325
2. Heat oil in a dutch oven, salt and pepper the meat and then brown
3. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeno and cook for 2-3 additional minutes
4. Add flour, cumin, and chili powder. Cook about 1 minute and then slowly add the water and tomatoes
5. Cover and bake 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally and add additional water if necessary.
6. You will know when the guisada is done because the meat will flake easily and the gravy will be thick.
7. Serve with warm tortillas