Here is a perfect weekend recipe. Put it in the oven in the morning and forget about it. You can spend your afternoon doing chores and running errands and when you get home, you will have a delicious, spicy meal waiting for you. Just be sure and pick up some refried beans from your favorite Mexican restaurant before you get home! This brisket is a little spicy so adjust the heat level if you are feeding kiddos.
2-3 lbs. of brisket
1 tablespoon coarse salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cups beef stock or water
2 cups tomato sauce
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 tablespoon ground ancho chili powder
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 tablespoons liquid smoke
12 warm tortillas
Cilantro, lime wedges, and chopped onion for garnish
- Heat oven to 325. Season the meat with salt and pepper all over..
- In a dutch oven, heat oil over high heat. Brown meat for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Add tomato sauce, broth, and onion. Cook covered for four hours in a 325 degree oven. Check the meat. If it is starting to get tender, it is time to add seasonings
- Add seasonings and more water if the brisket is dry. Cook the last hour uncovered so that the gravy will thicken up.
- Shred the brisket with a fork.
6. Serve on warmed tortillas with lime, cilantro, and onion.